Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gear Post #3 - Hiking Footwear

One of the most important items someone will need in during a hike in the woods is a good pair of hiking boots.  Walking is your mode of transportation to get you home, so you don't want to skimp on shoes that will cause you pain or blisters on your hike.


zoom.html.jpg


I recently picked up a pair of these - Merrell Phaser Peak Hiking Boots.  I decided to go with a leather boot, which is a little heavier, but better for cold weather camping (which is what I will be doing mostly).  Pair these with some nice Thorlo Socks, and I will be able to cross streams and still have my feet be warm and dry.  

It is always a good idea to get your boots (and socks) in advance, and break them in together well before a hike.

Next post we will discuss cookware, stoves, and cuisine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment